The Liver Institute at KMCH offers a multidisciplinary team approach which is essential for successful patient outcomes. It is a comprehensive, multidisciplinary disease-management center specializing in diseases of the liver, bile ducts and pancreas.
The services include :
Liver transplantation was started in KMCH in July 2014 and within a span of three months have successfully performed eight deceased donor liver transplantation including one for acute liver failure. The programme should benefit the people, particularly of western Tamilnadu. The waiting list for deceased donor liver transplantation in KMCH at present is the least in the country and should benefit sick patients who cannot afford to wait long for their transplantation. The financial package offered is also the most cost effective in the country.
Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Surgery
- Open and laparoscopic liver resection using tissue dissection tecniques.
- Whipple procedure (pancreaticoduodenectomy)
- Complex biliary resection and reconstruction of bile duct for injuries and malignancy
- Surgical shunts for portal hypertension.
Management of cirrhosis and portal hypertension:
- Medical management.
- Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS)
- Endoscopic therapy
- Surgical shunt
Treatment of acute and chronic liver disease, including
- Alcoholic Liver Disease
- Hepatitis A
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis C
- Autoimmune hepatitis
- Fatty liver
- Percutaneous, CT-guided, and transjugular liver biopsy
- FibroScan® device for the diagnosis and treatment of liver disease – the FibroScan® procedure offers patients a new scanning technology to measure the degree of fibrosis (scarring), or stiffness, in the liver without the need for a biopsy